Simple Stacks Templates

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

You can't make a square peg fit into a round hole...

Hi everyone,
Yesterday I told you that you can use kits, Quick Pages, Word Art, etc., even if they are designed for 12x12's, along with Simple Stacks Templates. I should have realized this is probably new to most who are trying their hand at a 4x6 scrapbook. So in case you were one of 2 who asked more questions about this or you're wondering too, here's a quick little "tutorial".
Using something designed for a 12x12 layout with Simple Stacks:

When you're searching the net or your stash, for products you'd like to use in a scrapbook layout, you'll probably find a LOT designed for 12x12 layouts. Each kit, QP and Word Art will present it's own complications.
For Example with this 12x12 QP:
I notice:
the "window" where the photo will be is slightly to the left (so it won't have a page break directly in the center of the page split)
It's clear around the edges (so I won't be cutting off sections I like)
So to prepare this for my Simple Stacks layout, first I resize it to 8x8 or as close to it without going under (occassionally it will be 8.04 x 8.04, it all depends on the item, but when resizing it must be 8" or just above. If it's below 8" you will have a gap)
Then crop your new 8x8 to 8x6. You can crop between the 1 and 7 inch marks or anywhere on the vertical 8" side so the resulting 8x6 looks good.
Check where the 4" break will occur on the horizontal 8" side
You want to be careful the middle of your photo, journaling or title doesn't fall directly on the 4" crop line.

The result:
You can see the photo and it's not cut down the center. You can read the journaling and it's not broken akwardly in the text. You can read your title and it will not be cropped off.
Tricks to remember: You can always crop something smaller than 8x6 and put it on another background, even slightly askewed to make it look appealing in the smaller setting.

Clear as mud? If you have a specific item you are wondering about, please feel free to email me. Include either a screen shot of the item you are trying to use or link to where I can find a copy to check for you.

Well yesterday I got busy again!
Finished the "last" layout in Jessica's 2007-2008 book, just a few in the middle to do to go to catch up now, lol.
I used an incredible new kit "Not Boys, Just Girls", created by Sarah Kozul found here along with todays freebie. Full credits are included in the description found here.
Ok, here's the square peg part, lol. I used this template out of sequence. This is Simple Stacks Template 119, so there are a few between yesterday's template and today. Sorry if this causes any confusion, it just worked for my birthday layout.
Happy Scrapping,
MaryAnne

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the template and the tutorial. I must have thought the final page was 4x6 but it's really 8x6, two vertical 4x6 pages. I should read more carefully! Thanks again.

Bonnie said...

I always think that the layouts are for 4x6 too, I keep forgetting. Thanks for the template and the tutorial.

Maria said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Digital Scrapbooking Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 30 Jul [LA 12:00am, NY 02:00am, UK 07:00am, OZ 05:00pm]).