Simple Stacks Templates

Monday, July 07, 2008

There's no place like home....

Hi everyone! We have power again!!
All my childhood "trauma" has been replaced by a single most terrifying event.
Mind you I have lived in Michigan all my life, so these events are mild to some that have occured around the world during those years.
When I was growing up it seems nature was always involved in the most traumatising events.
In 4th grade, lighting struck the lumber yard across the street from my school. The sound was deafening and there was no stopping that fire. The yard and building went up in flames right before my eyes.
A few years later, I was visiting my Grandparents on Harsens Island and lighting struck somewhere near the cabin. I awoke screaming! Sound echo's over the water and it was worse than the lumber yard lighting. (at least to a sound asleep child)
With these 2 events, I admit, I hate thunder. For a while when it thundered I was filled with fear so terrifying I was unable to function.
In College I had to learn to let it go, when we had to evacuate a Child Care Center during a thunderstorm and tornado event to keep the kids safe.
Also in college, I was teaching in a preschool when lightening struck the church across the street.
When I had my own children I learned to remain calm so they didn't get upset.
And now today I'm usually ok but on guard during a thunderstorm.
Well on Wednesday July 2nd, I was being lazy, not mowing my lawn as I should but sitting here playing on the computer, finishing up my stuff for my blog challenge when the news began reporting bad thunderstorms were on their way. The news seems to have elevated everything to a urgent status over the last few years, so while I am cautious I don't get alarmed anymore.
So as the storms were moving into Michigan, I kept the tv on and finished my work here.
I began working on a layout, remembering to save it frequently because if I loose power there goes my layout, kwim? Finally the winds kicked up enough to make my power flicker and close my computer. So I didn't restart. I don't want to loose my computer. Power came back, then blinked for about 5 minutes before it was gone for the day. Around 5ish the rain, hail and winds started to come. I called dh and told him not to drive home, the storm is bad enough I couldn't see the apple tree in the middle of my yard. I ran around closing windows, as the wind was changing directions and the windows we can normally leave open, were now allowing rain into the house. The intensity of the storm seemed to lessen, so I though we'd be out of power for a while that night. When I was standing next to my computer and I heard the most spine tingling crackling sound. Immediately I thought of our tree's. I don't know exactly what made me think of it, but I knew something was going to come down. Now at our house we have 3 full grown maples in the front yard, 1 on the north side, 2 smaller ones on the south, 2 in the back yard and an old dying apple in the middle of the back yard. So with so many tree's you never know about a storm. And the last few years tornado's have seemed to be focusing on our area. Our school even made the national news about 3 years ago when a tornado took off a portion of the roof during 9th grade orientation. Anyway, I knew something was coming down and standing near the middle of the house, I wasn't sure which way to move. I made up my mind quickly as I began seeing the 150 year old maple landing at the back of the house just 5 feet from my previous postion. I kinda bounced into the next room. And this was it, this is now the "worst" story for me. Being home alone, kids were at my sisters, I could react naturally without traumatising the children. Called dh told him to just talk. I can never talk when I get upset, I cry.
So now a few days later I can make light of the whole thing. Tree's broke. Wiped out the stroller, lawn mower, fence, yard swing, hammock, spring horse, hose real, electric wires to the garage, trellis, tomato plant, back step, oh yeah and the corner of the house. Lots of work to do. But the humming bird feeders and bbq are a ok. And the cucumber still has a flower, but I don't know it won't be gone soon.
My 17yo's comment at 1am last night was "the pictures don't really do this justice. That tree is just so big back there"
So here are some pictures for you.
No way to let the dog out to the bathroom now, lol.
My Blog Challenge
Thank You to everyone who has participated. I have looked at your layouts they are wonderful!
And I have emailed you your prizes. I will be posting the list of winners tonight (gotta do some work now)
Thanks again,
Sorry so long,
maryanne

No comments: